Man arrested for stabbing at Welsh holiday park

Man, 19, is arrested after ‘his 15-year-old sister was stabbed to death, his father injured and his grandad held hostage’ at packed Welsh holiday park

  • A 15-year-old girl has died after a ‘domestic disturbance’ at Welsh holiday spot 
  • An air ambulance rushed to scene at Ty Mawr holiday park in Towyn, north Wales
  • The Parkdean resort was cordoned off as police carried out investigations
  • A park spokesman said they were ‘shocked and saddened’ by the ‘tragic incident’

A 19-year-old man has been arrested after his 15-year-old sister was allegedly stabbed to death in a domestic disturbance at a Welsh holiday park.  

Officers rushed to Ty Mawr Holiday Park in Towyn, near Abergele in North Wales, on Saturday afternoon.

A force spokesman said: ‘North Wales Police can confirm that we attended the report of a domestic disturbance at the location where sadly a 15-year-old female has died.

‘A 19-year-old male has been arrested and is presently in custody at St Asaph.’

The Sun, citing an unnamed source, reported that the 19-year-old is suspected of killing his younger sister, attacking and seriously injuring their dad, and then allegedly taking their grandad hostage. 

An air ambulance rushed to the scene on Saturday afternoon, as parts of the Parkdean resort and a caravan were cordoned off while police carried out an investigation in the 100acre park.

An air ambulance was rushed to the scene at Ty Mawr park in Towyn, north Wales on Saturday afternoon

Man arrested for stabbing at Welsh holiday park

Police have been called to a ‘serious incident’ at a Welsh holiday park and warned people to ‘stay away’ after the ‘tragic incident’

Eyewitnesses reported the air ambulance landed on the A548, which was shut in both directions, at around 3.30pm, with two ambulances and three rapid response vehicles in tow.  

Mother of two Carly Hargreaves, 44, who arrived on holiday from Manchester on Friday, said about eight police cars, three ambulances and the air ambulance arrived to the park.

She said from outside the vast caravan and campsite: ‘We are staying two rows behind where it happened and didn’t hear a single thing. I can’t stop thinking about it because my son is 16. To come away on holiday and not go home with that special person is tragic. It’s a normal family-orientated site.’

On Sunday, police cars were seen entering the site as investigations continued.

Ty Mawr, close to the sea and part of the Parkdean Resorts chain, is one of the more upmarket holiday venues, with a heated indoor pool among other amenities, a far cry from the rough and ready image of camps of old. 

Tens of thousands of holidaymakers are staying in camps along a strip of coastline on what is traditionally one of the busiest weeks of the year.

Kay Redhead, mayor of Towyn and KInmel Bay said: ‘It’s knocked us to the core. This is a fantastic place where we welcome everyone. This time of year we have 45,000 to 50,000 extra people in the area and with staycation it’s ready bustling. Ty Mawr is a well organised and managed family camp and when something like this happens it affects everybody..’

Mrs Redhead added: ‘I would like to express condolences to the family. It’s a tragic situation.’ 

North Wales Police said there is no threat to the wider public. 

Social media images showed a caravan had been taped off by detectives. 

Police said in a statement: ‘Officers are attending a serious incident at a Holiday Park near Abergele. Investigations are ongoing. Apologies for any difficulty.

‘There is no threat to the public but please stay away from the area whilst we deal with the incident. Thank you for your patience.’

A park spokesman told MailOnline: ‘We are shocked and saddened by this tragic incident.

Man arrested for stabbing at Welsh holiday park

The Parkdean resort was cordoned off as police carried out an investigation in the park

‘Ty Mawr is a 100 acre family park which welcomes tens of thousands of happy holidaymakers every year. 

‘This was an isolated and unprecedented incident which took place inside a caravan which is now a crime scene.

‘Our team are assisting police with their inquiries and as it is a police matter we can’t comment further at the moment.’